Email marketing is a MUST for any personal trainer who wants to grow their online business.
Yes, establishing a presence on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and all the other social media platforms can help, but email is one form of digital communication that has stood the test of time, and it's not going anywhere any time soon.
People email for their own personal use and they use it for business. That's why statistics show that 333 BILLION emails will be sent each and every day by the year 2020. No, email marketing is not going away.
It's obvious that email is a powerful way to connect with your clients and prospects, but in a world where there are billions of emails sent each day, how can you make sure yours get opened and read?
Why Your Email Subject Line Is Absolutely Critical
Many personal trainers I speak with are worried about what content to send in their emails:
- Should I sent a monthly fitness newsletter?
- Should I send the same stuff I post on social media?
- Should I sell my coaching services through my emails?
- Should I send different emails to prospects vs. buyers?
These aren't bad questions, but none of them are the MOST IMPORTANT question you need to be asking. The most important question is simple:
Are your emails getting an acceptable (and eventually an awesome) OPEN RATE?
Your open rate is simply the percentage of your email list who actually opens the emails you send.
If people aren't even opening your emails, the content within those emails doesn't matter. That's why you need to focus on your open rate, and then perfect your content and your call-to-actions.
The #1 factor dictating whether or not your emails get opened is your subject line. A good subject line can mean the difference between having 5-10% of recipients opening your email and 30%, 40%, even 50% or more opening it.
Understanding how to write captivating email subject lines is crucial.
What You Stand to Gain (or Lose) with Your Email Subject Lines
When I first began building my email list, I had 8 subscribers. Yes, eight. They were my current one-on-one personal training clients.
Back then, my open rate didn't matter as much. Having a 30% open rate versus a 50% open rate wasn't going to earn or lose me thousands of dollars. But, that has changed...
I focused on growing my list and soon it hit 100 people, then 1,000, then 10,000, and now I have over 30,000 subscribers. Every open rate percentage point matters.
For example, say you have 100 people on your email list and you send a series of sales emails to get people to join your new $200 online fat-loss program. If your offer is positioned correctly, you might get 30% of people to buy once they learn the details of your program.
Now, if you have a poor open rate of 10%, that means you'll earn roughly $600. However, if you nailed down a good subject line for your emails, your open rate could easily hit 40% and you'd come away with $2,400.
That's real money being left on the table if people don't open your emails!
As shown in the graphic above, when done well, the return on investment for email marketing far surpasses all other forms of online promotion you can do. BUT, this all hinges on having enticing email subject lines that get your message read.
117 Email Subject Lines for Online Personal Trainers (That Will Get Your Emails Opened)
The following list of 117 email subject lines is yours to use however you like. You can use these subject lines with promotional emails to sell your online fitness products or services. You can use them to nurture your prospects. You can use them to drive traffic to your online content.
Just remember, the subject line should be related to the message within your email. People open an email based on a "promise" you're making in subject line. Once they open that message it's your job to deliver on that promise.
So, don't use the subject line, "Did you forget to register?" to get people to open your email that sends them to your recent blog post. If there's nothing to register for, don't mention registration in your subject line. Be honest. Deliver on your promises.
Take these, tweak them, and make them your own:
- Real Quick
- BRAND NEW
- I give up
- I almost forgot about this
- This doesn't happen often
- Frankly, I am puzzled
- Did you miss this? This is the last time I'll send this
- No More Excuses! - TODAY
- Only 3 spots left…
- Did you forget to register?
- IMPORTANT… Link Was Wrong…Use this Link!
- Struck a nerve, did I?
- Here you go
- Your 2nd chance- Y or N?
- I never thought I'd do this
- Is this real enough?
- Close call
- Yes, I will do it!
- P.S….Warning Warning Warning…!!!
- We're about to start without you
- I was wrong 🙁
- Did you see the video?
- [FINAL NOTICE] This is it….
- This Could Have Been Prevented
- WARNING (bias alert)
- I have good news and bad news
- Call Me
- Re: No Regrets!
- Absolutely overwhelming
- You Are Not Alone
- Miss this at your own risk!
- I'm very sorry…But you NEED to see this!
- People like YOU
- We have a secret…..
- The "3 Morning' rule
- Tick-Tock, TICK-TOCK…Time Is Almost UP!
- Your results (DO NOT SHARE)
- [NEW VIDEO] "bad" client case study
- I need your help (please)
- GREAT NEWS ( which keeps getting better)
- No Travel Necessary
- Yes, I heard you and yes we will do it
- DEADLINE = 2 Hours
- Oops… Our Mistake
- PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL
- TEST RESULTS (do not share)
- Fwd: Waiting for your response
- Great video!
- I need your help
- BARGAIN ALERT
- EVERYONE is talking about…
- It Ends Today at 5PM
- Bad Timing
- TROUBLE (new blog post)
- Please don't forget
- You're the first to know
- Weird stuff that has happened to me
- Don't let them HOSE YOU
- I didn't believe this until I saw it myself
- No one wants to talk about this
- Why risk it? Here's a better way
- STOP (can 2,000 people be wrong?)
- Re: Knock Knock!
- One week from today!
- This is ridiculous
- 30-Day Notice
- What ONE Question would you ask me?
- Shhhhh… it's a secret sale!
- Make a difference
- Checkin' in….
- A lot has changed
- I goofed…
- It's not too late
- It's decision time
- Largest turnout ever
- This stuff DOESN'T WORK!
- I know it's late…
- Going, going, gone!
- Almost as good as winning the lottery
- She knows her stuff
- I'm concerned about you
- Call me tomorrow?
- Your loyalty is about to pay off
- I want to bribe you to try this…
- I'm Retiring…
- Don't Listen to Me
- There is Hope
- Huge Price Increase Coming
- Can you sneak in? (sold out)
- How Aunt Mable Changed My Life
- These Techniques Can do Evil…
- FW: do you know this?
- Crying Like a Baby
- Three Wishes…
- Our Little Secret 🙂
- Can you make a split-second decision?
- I Usually Don't Reward Those Who Wait But...
- Are you free today at…
- I've just about HAD ENOUGH.
- Sign up please today
- It's Finally Here
- Did you get in?
- Did you leave a comment?
- Costly Mistakes
- I have NEVER Shared this... Until Now
- Down to the wire
- Our best deal of the year
- The Result of All This Learning...
- Take two minutes to change a life
- I will pay you $1,000 to check this out
- Here's my phone number
- Heads up
And my personal favourite:
Re: Quick question